As an office that offers full-service dentistry, we understand that patients are concerned about taking dental x-rays and incurring any unnecessary radiation or additional costs. From our perspective, we cannot provide an accurate diagnosis, even for a cleaning, without x-rays. We want to be sure we are providing the best care to our patients, and without x-rays there is a lot that we could be missing including periodontal disease, cavities, root fractures and root abscesses.
Many dental problems don’t have symptoms until the disease has progressed to a point of requiring treatment such as root canals or extraction. Our doctors diagnosed many that could have been prevented with the help of digital images.
Radiation from digital dental images is lower than most environmental exposure:
Your Get more radiation exposure from the following then Dental X-Rays:
- Flight from New York to California
- Cell phones, fluorescent lamps, microwaves and computers
Preventive dental care is a partnership between you and Dr. Delia. Developing healthy dental habits early in life can help reduce cavities, gum disease, and gingivitis.
Here are the basics of good oral health:
- Brush your teeth at least 2 times a day—usually morning and night–using a soft-bristled brush and a fluoride toothpaste. Dr. Delia will recommend the best toothbrush and toothpaste for you.
- Floss daily.
Regular preventive dental exams provide the following benefits to your oral health:
- It lowers your risk for tooth decay, periodontal diseases.
- Helps promote good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing.
- Enables your dentist to do a full exam of your mouth, jaw, neck, etc. to identify any related problems.
- Help reduce dental problems related to some chronic medical conditions.
Diabetes, osteoporosis, certain cancers, and eating disorders can all influence dental and oral health. For people with chronic conditions, regular preventive dental care is an important part of whole-person health.